Disclaimer: When you buy from links on our site, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more
Romantic comedies, or rom-coms, have been a beloved genre for decades, with books and films capturing the hearts of audiences worldwide. Whether you’re looking for a lighthearted read or a heartwarming story, there’s a rom-com book out there for you.
Rom-com books are defined by their blend of romance and comedy, with many stories featuring relatable characters, witty banter, and laugh-out-loud moments. From enemies-to-lovers plots to steamy romances, there’s no shortage of variety in the genre. Whether you’re a fan of contemporary romance, paranormal romance, or fantasy romance, there’s a rom-com book out there that will capture your heart.
- Rom-com books blend romance and comedy, featuring relatable characters and witty banter.
- Various rom-com books are available, including contemporary romance, paranormal romance, and fantasy romance.
Defining Rom-Com Books
Romantic comedies, or rom-coms, are popular literature genres combining romance and comedy elements. These books typically feature a lighthearted and humorous tone, focusing on the ups and downs of relationships and the search for true love.
One of the defining features of rom-com books is their ability to make you laugh. Whether it’s through banter, amusing situations, or humorous misunderstandings, rom-coms are designed to be a fun and entertaining read.
At the same time, rom-com books also explore the complexities of love and relationships. They often feature relatable characters who struggle with common issues like trust, communication, and commitment. Through their experiences, readers can gain insights into their relationships and find inspiration for their romantic journeys.
Top Recommended Rom-Com Books
If you’re looking for a good laugh and a heartwarming love story, then you can’t go wrong with a rom-com book. Here are some of the top recommended rom-com books that you should check out:
- “The Hating Game” by Sally Thorne – This enemies-to-lovers romance is a fun and witty read that will have you rooting for the main characters from the beginning.
- “The Kiss Quotient” by Helen Hoang – This diverse and steamy romance follows an autistic woman who hires a male escort to teach her about intimacy but falls in love along the way.
- “One to Watch” by Kate Stayman-London – This book follows a plus-size fashion blogger who becomes the star of a “The Bachelorette” type reality show and finds love in unexpected ways.
- “The Flatshare” by Beth O’Leary – This unique romance follows two strangers who share a flat but have never met in person and slowly fall in love through post-it notes and other forms of communication.
- “Red, White & Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston – This LGBTQ+ romance follows the son of the U.S. President as he falls in love with the Prince of Wales, and the two navigate the challenges of a high-profile relationship.
These books are just a few of the many great rom-com books out there. Whether you’re a fan of enemies-to-lovers, fake dating, or friends-to-lovers romances, there’s a book out there for you. So grab a book, get cozy, and enjoy a good laugh and a happy ending.
Rom-Com Books with High School Settings
If you’re looking for a light-hearted read that will take you back to your high school days, then you’ll love these rom-com books with high school settings. These books capture the awkwardness, drama, and excitement of teenage romance, making them perfect for anyone who wants to relive their high school years or experience them for the first time.
One classic high school rom-com book is “10 Things I Hate About You” by David Levithan. This book is based on the hit 90s movie of the same name and follows the story of Kat and Patrick. Kat is a feminist who doesn’t believe in love, while Patrick is a bad boy who is paid to date her. As they spend more time together, they start to develop feelings for each other, but their pasts threaten to tear them apart.
Another must-read high school rom-com book is “Clueless” by Sarra Manning. This book is based on the iconic 90s movie and follows the story of Cher, a popular girl who is used to getting what she wants. When she meets a new student named Tai, she takes her under her wing and tries to give her a makeover. Along the way, she realizes that she might have feelings for her ex-stepbrother, Josh.
If you’re looking for a more modern high school rom-com book, then you should check out “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han. This book follows the story of Lara Jean, a teenage girl who writes love letters to all of her crushes but never intends to send them. When her letters are accidentally sent out, she has to navigate the fallout and deal with her feelings for her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh.
Overall, these high school rom-com books are perfect for anyone who wants to relive the drama and excitement of their teenage years. Whether you’re looking for a classic or a modern take on the genre, there’s something for everyone in this list. So grab a copy of your favorite book, curl up with a cozy blanket, and get ready to fall in love all over again!
Rom-Com Books with Music Themes
If you’re a music lover and a fan of romantic comedies, you’re in luck! There are plenty of rom-com books that incorporate music into their plotlines. Here are some of the best rom-com books with music themes to add to your reading list.
“The Music Shop” by Rachel Joyce
“The Music Shop” by Rachel Joyce is a heartwarming story of a record shop owner who has a knack for finding the perfect music for his customers. Set in the 1980s, the book follows Frank, who falls in love with a mysterious woman named Ilse Brauchmann. As they bond over music, Frank must confront his past and learn to open his heart to love.
“This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession” by Daniel J. Levitin
While not a traditional rom-com, “This is Your Brain on Music” by Daniel J. Levitin is a fascinating exploration of the science behind our love of music. Levitin, a neuroscientist and musician, delves into how music affects our brains and emotions. This is the perfect choice if you’re looking for a non-fiction book that combines music and romance.
“High Fidelity” by Nick Hornby
“High Fidelity” by Nick Hornby is a classic novel that was later adapted into a movie starring John Cusack. The book follows Rob, a record store owner who is struggling to come to terms with his recent breakup. As he revisits his past relationships and tries to figure out what went wrong, he also has to confront his own fear of commitment.
“Jerry Maguire” by Cameron Crowe
While “Jerry Maguire” is best known as a movie starring Tom Cruise, it was actually based on a book by Cameron Crowe. The novel follows a sports agent named Jerry Maguire, who has a crisis of conscience and decides to start his own agency. Along the way, he falls in love with a single mother named Dorothy Boyd and must navigate the ups and downs of both his personal and professional life.
Whether you’re a fan of classic novels or more contemporary rom-coms, there’s a book out there for every music lover. These four books are just a few of the many options available to you. So grab a cup of coffee, put on your favorite playlist, and dive into the world of music-themed rom-coms!
Noteworthy Authors in the Rom-Com Genre
Romantic comedies have been around for centuries, but the genre has seen a resurgence in recent years with the rise of authors specializing in writing this type of fiction. Here are a few noteworthy authors in the rom-com genre that you should definitely check out:
Sophie Kinsella is a British author who is best known for her “Shopaholic” series, which has been adapted into a movie. Her novels are light-hearted and humorous, with relatable characters that will keep you entertained from start to finish. If you’re looking for a fun and easy read, Sophie Kinsella is the author for you.
No list of rom-com authors would be complete without mentioning Jane Austen. Although her novels were written in the 19th century, they are still popular today and have been adapted into numerous movies and TV shows. Austen’s witty writing style and relatable characters make her novels timeless classics that are definitely worth a read.
Amy Heckerling is a film director and screenwriter who is best known for her work on the movies “Clueless” and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” Both of these movies are considered to be romantic comedies and have become cult classics. Heckerling’s writing is witty and fun, with relatable characters to entertain you.
Kat Lee is a contemporary romance author who writes humorous and heartwarming romances. Her novels are filled with relatable characters and laugh-out-loud moments that will keep you entertained from start to finish. If you’re looking for a fun and lighthearted romance, Kat Lee is the author for you.
These are just a few of the many talented authors who specialize in writing rom-coms. Whether you’re in the mood for a classic novel or a contemporary romance, an author has written the perfect book for you.
Rom-Com Books Adapted to Film
Many romantic comedy novels have been adapted into successful films. Here are a few examples of rom-com books that have been adapted into movies:
- “Bridget Jones’s Diary” by Helen Fielding: This book was adapted into a movie of the same name in 2001, starring Renée Zellweger, Colin Firth, and Hugh Grant. The film follows the life of a single woman in her thirties who is trying to improve her life and find love.
- “The Princess Diaries” by Meg Cabot: This book was adapted into a movie of the same name in 2001, starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews. The film follows the life of a teenage girl who discovers that she is a princess and must learn how to navigate royal life.
- “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green: This book was adapted into a movie of the same name in 2014, starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. The film follows the love story of two teenagers who meet at a cancer support group.
- “Crazy Rich Asians” by Kevin Kwan: This book was adapted into a movie of the same name in 2018, starring Constance Wu and Henry Golding. The film follows a woman who travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s family, only to discover that they are one of the wealthiest families in the country.
- “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han: This book was adapted into a movie of the same name in 2018, starring Lana Condor and Noah Centineo. The film follows the life of a teenage girl whose secret love letters are accidentally sent out to all of her past crushes.
Many of these movies are on popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the best rom-com books for adults?
Some of the best rom-com books for adults include “The Hating Game” by Sally Thorne, “One to Watch” by Kate Stayman-London, “Evvie Drake Starts Over” by Linda Holmes, and “The Kiss Quotient” by Helen Hoang.
What are some popular rom-com books on Goodreads?
According to Goodreads, some popular rom-com books include “The Hating Game” by Sally Thorne, “The Kiss Quotient” by Helen Hoang, “The Unhoneymooners” by Christina Lauren, and “The Flatshare” by Beth O’Leary.
What are some of the best-selling rom-com books?
Some of the best-selling rom-com books include “Bridget Jones’s Diary” by Helen Fielding, “The Rosie Project” by Graeme Simsion, “Me Before You” by Jojo Moyes, and “Crazy Rich Asians” by Kevin Kwan.
What are some rom-com books for young adults?
Some rom-com books for young adults include “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han, “Tweet Cute” by Emma Lord, “Eleanor & Park” by Rainbow Rowell, and “The Upside of Unrequited” by Becky Albertalli.
What should I read if I enjoy romantic comedies?
If you enjoy romantic comedies, you may also enjoy reading contemporary romance novels, chick lit, and women’s fiction. Some popular authors in these genres include Sophie Kinsella, Emily Giffin, Nicholas Sparks, and Jane Green.
More from Bookworm Era:
- Friends To Lovers Books: Top Picks For Romance Readers
- Best App To Read Books For Free: Top Picks For Book Lovers
Victoria Cornell helps women adopt a positive mindset even when the struggles of motherhood feel overwhelming. On her sites, Motherhood Life Balance, Neon Moon and Bookworm Era she writes about ways to reduce stress with mindset, manifesting, goal planning, productivity, and more.